So today I was lucky enough to spend most of the day teaching! My mentor was ill so there was a casual appointed to my class. No big deal as my mentor had run through yesterday what the plan was for today.
1) I was to plan and teach a session in the computer room that involved the students researching information about Kakadu. I went home and devised some scaffolding sheets to guide the questions they might like to have answered.
I even found 3 suitable sites. Planning ahead I created a wix site with images and the links to the sites I wanted the students to use.
So 1st problem- Students went straight to computer room. I forgot to write on the class door where we were so the couple of stragglers were left to wonder about looking for us. Because we went straight to the library the students also didn’t have pencils to record info. Rookie mistake right (all easy enough to fix).
2nd problem- After printing the wix address out in huge writing so the whole class could see and type it in- it turns out it is blocked by the department of education. Oh man. So some quick reteaching on key words saw my very scaffolded lesson become a lot more open. Some students (they were in pairs- student choice) worked amazingly well and got well into the higher levels of Blooms. Some with out the sites were distracted typing silly things into google.
My lesson: is to check the technology works. My mentor being away threw me a little. I did manage to hook my iPad up to the smart board and connect the internet using my phone as the school has no wifi. Next step is to try Skype on the big screen as i want to teach a lesson between different schools. where the students complete maths questions and then explain their answers over Skype. I have even had some ‘maths challenge’ trophies made for each class.
Feeling grand today. The casual was full of praise and was unaware of my failure.